nap_time: (Default)

Long time, no chat! I had a really stressful April/May. Heh, I think it was brought on by insufficient sleep due to extensive marathoning of Supernatural. [Self-control? What is this concept all about?]  Sprinkle in work issues i.e. constant depressing yapping about budget cuts and you have one grumpy, not in the mood to type me!

But now it's summer and I'm torturing myself with ideas of vacation that I promptly bail on because I'm not willing to pile debt on ye olde credit card (Sorry, Jessica!) (see previous paragraph re: constant yapping about drastic budget cuts which now include staff layoffs). I believe I'll be piddling away my ever-growing vacation balance (thank you, furloughs) one day at a time this summer. Not exactly thrilling, but certainly affordable.

One of the many great things about being in California is that there are plenty of nearby wonders to keep me entertained. For example, over Memorial Day weekend I squeezed in a short trip to Yosemite National Park. My co-worker has a friend who lives about 45 minutes away from Yosemite so we stayed with her and "commuted" to the park. On the one hand it was kinda a crappy choice since about five billion other Californians had the same idea (thus Yosemite lived up to its "crowded" reputation - you've never seen such traffic jams at a National Park in your life! Well, ones not caused by people gaping at wildlife or some such). On the other hand, it was a fabulous decision since the waterfalls were bursting with late spring snowfall which is now melting. Sweet! The traffic was so bad it kept us off the valley floor, but I can always go back and do that any time (we'll see if it'll be another seven years before I go back ;). However, we were lucky enough to be there the first day the road to Glacier Point was opened. Yeah, you can see photos of that here: http://pics.livejournal.com/undeep_thoughts/pic/000bsz3p/g53

What further summer adventures are coming my way? Well, tune in to see (I'm warning you now, it's going to be pathetic).

Date: 2010-06-07 01:11 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] adagiobreezes1.livejournal.com
The pics make me feel like I was there. You know, since I'll no longer be using my hard earned money to go home for the holidays, I'll be planning a visit to see you in the next couple years.

Date: 2010-06-10 01:20 am (UTC)From: [identity profile] undeep-thoughts.livejournal.com
I will be waiting!! There' still sooooo much of California you haven't seen yet.

I'm guessing you'll be driving home a bit more frequently? Have you figured out how many miles you'll be living from good old Jefferson Co (um, is that the county your mom lives in?)?

Date: 2010-06-10 01:00 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] adagiobreezes1.livejournal.com
I don't remember the exact mileage, but it's about 4.5 hours give or take a half hour.

Date: 2010-06-08 01:37 am (UTC)From: [identity profile] jschomberg.livejournal.com
Looks like a fun mini-trip! I, too, am in the land of no summer vacations (unless you count New Jersey, which I don't). But, that's ok, I had a lovely winter vacation instead :)

Do you have any idea how deep the staff cuts are going to be, or are you just trying not to think about it?

Date: 2010-06-10 01:24 am (UTC)From: [identity profile] undeep-thoughts.livejournal.com
Oh! I thought NJ was a vacation? You were visiting friends there, right?

So far eight people have been laid off (I don't know the effective date). But other unpleasantness is still happening; one of my staff colleagues was told she's being tranferred to some other department on campus. She was told this was to save the library money but I don't think she's at all happy about being forced to move...

Date: 2010-06-12 08:02 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] jschomberg.livejournal.com
Yeah, visiting friends. I guess it was a vacation. I did get to see a new state (CT). Maybe because it didn't really seem like anything I hadn't seen (and lived in) before, it didn't seem like a vacation?

Oy, that sounds stressful for everyone involved.

Profile

nap_time: (Default)
nap_time

September 2012

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23 242526272829
30      

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 3rd, 2026 03:06 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios